Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Biz Travel: The Great Escape? or Horror Flick?

This is going to probably be a short post, but I feel like it's one I'm going to come back to often.
I just got back from a business trip to NY (as you might notice from my lack of posts over the last week). I might be a little jaded writing this, so here's your fair warning. This particular trip was wall-to-wall work. I spent so much time in conference rooms and steakhouses that I really don't see why we couldn't have just gone to middle-of-nowhere USA. OK - I guess George Stephanopoulos and Diane Sawyer only make appearances for the NY crowd, but other than that.... well, you know what I mean.
Usually when I have a trip to a large city, I'm able to squeak in a little "tourist" time to enjoy where I am and do a little shopping and hopefully visit with friends. Somehow I have friends in quite a few major cities, so that usually works out great since I don't travel much for fun right now. This time - it was all work, all the time. The only bright side was the 10-minute powershop in H&M at 9pm on my way from a work dinner to a post-work dinner gathering.
Every night I called home.
I called home in time to have my daughter repeat "Mamma... Mamma... Mamma" over and over into the phone (with a button pushed for good measure) and to have my son say his "Good Nights" mostly in tears because he missed his Mom.
Traveling for work is officially over for me.
It used to be the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Since a Mouse paid for my $300+/night hotel in the middle of Manhattan while I got to eat at the coolest little spots in the city - found by the friend I was able to meet up with during my extra night stay.
For my SMate, it seems to be pure punishment. Lots of coordination and the stress level so high that it's hard to enjoy the fact that he gets all that time with the kiddos to himself.
Funny how you change, and how your perspective changes.
Now I just want him to go out of town so I get the kiddos all to MYself.
Now that's just plain weird.
or is it?
until next time.....
biz travel stinks

No comments: